Friday, April 11, 2008

A Tribute

Today I attended the funeral for Brooke Paracca Isbell (see yesterday's blog for more info). I can't even describe the grief that filled the room for this young wife and mother of two, she was just 31 years old. Although we all agree she lives on, it still will take time for those that loved her to truly move on and understand this life cut short. And through all of this, her mother, my friend Penny, has still not been told of her death as everyone agrees that due to Penny's delicate condition, she would probably not survive the news. On a dark day, however there was good news - Penny spoke for the first time today since being put on life support two weeks ago. On Wednesday, March 26th they didn't believe she'd make it through the night but she continues to prove the doctors wrong.

I wanted to share with everyone the poem that was included at the service. It gave me solace during a service that was more difficult than any I have ever attended, and in this case I had never even met Brooke, her husband Anthony or her boys, Bailey (10) and Peyton (3). It speaks to the strength of this family.

To Those I Love
When I am gone, just release me,
Let me go - so I can move into my afterglow.
You mustn't tie me down with your tears;
let's be happy that we had so many years.
I gave you my love, you can only guess how much
you gave me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you each have shown,
but now it's time I traveled on alone.
So grieve for me a while, if grieve you must,
then let your grief be comforted with trust.
It's only for a while that we must part,
so bless the memories within your heart.
And then, when you must come this way alone,
I'll greet you with a smile and a "Welcome Home."
(Author Unknown)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sarah, how tragic. We will continue to pray for this family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah. I grew up with all the Paracca's from about age 3 on. The parents still go to our church. This broke my heart too. Thank you for sharing the poem and the update on Penny!

Sarah Rath said...

Anonymous - it's a small world! I'm glad I could share with you the poem, it was so sweet I hope it brings solace to others in similar situations.