Tuesday, August 19, 2008

thoughts of mine...

I know pictures are the best, but I'm worn out on editing lately (and I know I need to get some sent to some of you afar via Walgreen's) and so I thought I'd blog tonite on a few things these past couple of weeks that have been on my mind. I'd also share some of Cory's thoughts, but right now I think the majority of them surround the continued digging of a ginormous hole and piles of dirt on our property (time for completion and costs are already somewhat past the estimates, though we do have hopes to finish this week), so I'll just leave it up to him to ask me for the password to blog himself here sometime.


A few weeks ago as I was fumbling through my Favorites I have saved from the web, I came across the website of a company I had bought a few framed "quips"from at the Starving Artists Fair in Racine when we lived there. I have three pieces in very cute frames, first, Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much", "Living without Laughing isn't Living", and my favorite and one I try to keep in mind a lot these days, "Simplify". I love these little sayings, but I also remembered that at the time, the booth I bought them from offered the ability to buy other vellum inserts to change out the quips and thought I'd just check out if the company still existed, and to my suprise, they did - and boy have they grown!


Kindred Hearts, http://www.kindredhearts.com/, is a family company with a great story - they started from a hobby in their basement in Plainfield, IL, just outside of Chicago. Eventually they sold and turned to other interests, including I believe some missions work overseas. However, they missed their passion and returned to take things over again and have grown into quite an operation with two warehouses and products placed in Hallmark stores all over the country! On a whim, after a long day with Jack's broken leg episode, I just wrote a quick note to the company after reading their "About Us" statement and told them how much I enjoyed the three little frames I had bought at that fair so many years ago - and certainly based on their timeline, from the first beginnings of their company along with a couple of "prospects" for them in Birmingham that I thought might be interested in carrying their products. A day later I received a very sweet e-mail thanking me for my comments which was a nice personal touch. I guess working in the industry I do, with such customers such as Bass Pro, Cabela's and Dick's that seem to mystify so many people at our interations with companies on such a large scale, that I like to "connect" with some of the places I choose to buy products from.


Anyway, to my absolute suprise, later that week a package came to the office for me from them...and I was just shocked! It's a beautiful 14"x 28" framed print with a shadow script in the backround of the word kindness...with the following quote:

"People are often unreasonable and self-centered...Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives...Be kind anyway.
If you are honest people my cheat you...Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous...Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow...Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough...Give yor best anyway.
For in the end it is between you & God. It never was between you and them anyway.
- Mother Teresa



This wonderful and unexpected gift is proudly displayed in my bedroom above the dresser where I can see it each morning. Thanks to the Kindred Hearts family!



I admit it - I was OBSESSED with the swimming events this past week of the Olympics! I don't think I managed to get to bed a single night before 11pm (not the smartest move for a mom of 2 under 2). And although I do admit to be fascinated by Michael Phleps and his accomplishments, the real draw was that I have such fond memories of watching the Olympics over the years. I remember being glued to the TV during the Kerri Scruggs vault and Nancy Kerrigan's leg bashing and really, going all the way back to 1984, just before the start of 8th grade when my family took a well deserved and long time coming family vacation to Door County, Wisconsin.


One of my favorite memories of these summer games however will be the Opening Ceremonies. We were relaxing after dinner and before bathtime when they started. I didn't really hear any hype leading up to the event itself, but from the very start I was in awe - and so was JACK! He stopped playing and just sat quiet and open mouthed at the TV watching the amazing lights and drums, synchronized movements. We try not to do a lot of TV around here, especially before bedtime, but I could see he was completely focused at what he was seeing and soaking it all in. If you've seen any part of it, you'll know what I'm speaking to, it was probably the most amazing performance at an Olympic event I have ever witnessed. And although watching the spectacular show was awesome for me, but the most awesome part was seeing the amazement in his eyes! I can't barely wait for the closing ceremonies!



Finally, for those that have seen my previous posts on our church - Church of the Highlands - this week was another message in the Encounter series and it was POWERFUL! If you have a chance, please listen online to the message...my favorite point taken "Faith is your Attitude". Take a minute and listen to what it means to have an attitude of faith in whatever you do and how it can free you from whatever it is that is holding you back from giving your life amazing freedom from your burdens. I know so many of you would benefit from living this attitude (me included!)


http://www.churchofthehighlands.com/messages/2008/08-17-08

No comments: