Friday, April 20, 2012

BCS Reflections: A Parent's Prayer

It's nearly the end of the school year and I haven't even mentioned a thing about what a wonderful addition to our family life Briarwood has been. Well, guess I just did!

Ever week or so I receive an email message from the Superintendant and a recent one really hit the spot for me. Hope you enjoy it too!

A Parent's Prayer: From an Imperfect Parent for Priceless Children

Make me the parent, O Lord, who will show my children the strength to face weakness; the courage to face fear; the grace to accept honest defeat; and the humility and gentleness to accept victory.

Make me the parent who will show my children not a path of ease and comfort, but the ability to accept the challenges of stress and difficulty. Use me, I pray, to be the example of one who can stand up in the storm, and there learn compassion for those who fail.

Make me the parent who will teach my children the value of a clear heart and a high goal; to look in the mirror of their own faults before they find fault in others; to learn to laugh, yet never forget how to cry; to reach into the future without ever forgetting the past.

Make me the parent, O Lord, who will show my children enough of a sense of humor, so that they will always be serious, but never take themselves too seriously. Give them humility, so they will always remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness of true strength.

And after all these things are theirs, add for me, I pray, the wisdom to show them the dubious value of titles, positions, money, and material gain; and the eternal value of prayer, the Holy Bible, a Christian home, and a saving relationship with Your Son Jesus Christ.

Then I, their parent, will dare to whisper, "I have not lived in vain.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Parenting is an exhilarating journey...not for the faint of heart. Thanks for sharing.