Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall Fun Begins

I love fall. Love it Love it Love it. (And really loved it last night when my Badgers pulled out an amazing victory against the #1 Ohio State Buckeyes!)

This weekend was our real first feel of fall. It's been in the 40s at night this week, the leaves are starting to turn and fall festivals are abundant.

We started off on Friday shaky with a phone call from daycare around 3:15 "Jack has a stomach bug" so early pickup and home we went. However it was apparent after a few hours that whatever it was, wasn't long lasting, and even more apparent as he finished off a big supper with no after effects. We also got a welcome phone call from Linda and Joe Grauwels, long time friends of my parents - you know, those friends that no matter what direction life takes, they will be there - and set some plans in motion to meet up on Saturday, since they are visiting Birmingham with relatives. And meet up we did. Duke and I picked up Linda in Chelsea and brought her to see the house and have lunch and visit. It was so wonderful to share a glimpse of our life here with someone from home.  It would have been better to get Jack to join us for the photo op, but I'll take what I can get.

Sunday brought a wonderful morning at church - gotta love having Pastor Chris deliver another wonderful message which closed with one of my most favorite verses, "Be very careful , then, how you live --not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.  Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." Ephesians 5:15-17

And for the afternoon, we wisely took the kids, along with Adam and Crystal, Elli and Noah to the Grand Ole' Pumpkin Patch for some fall fun.



Yes, that is Jack - NO FEAR on the bouncer slides.  Duke, feared, until he did it once, then ALL ABOUT IT!  But didn't catch him on film unfortunately!

We skipped the overpriced tractor and hay rides, since we can do that at home for free :) and I think the guys might consider the $25 helicopter rides next year, but there were bounce houses, a pettting zoo (ok, a few rabbits in a hutch, two pot bellied pigs, a couple puppies, some goats and a few ponies and cows which wanted nothing to do with any of us, and then - pony rides!   The last of which would have been better if either of my children had actually done it and my oldest not decided as we left our turn in line that he really wanted to go after all.   That's ok, I don't mind that feeling of having my heart ripped out as I have to tell my child, "I'm sorry baby, you missed your turn and we can't go back (because there are 30 more people in line)"...hopefully it will be one of those life lessons learned, right?  Let's just say, I'm at least lucky that we got a few photo opps prior to that episode - though side note - he did catch on pretty quick to the situation and what consequences he would face if he didn't get himself together, so Natalie I can admit to progress outside of the house too!  Plus, FINALLY a new family photo (not perfect but do-able) - only about a year overdue!



We capped off the day with a last minute decision for a campfire in the fire pit and roasting hot dogs and smore's with the Schobers while the kids ran around playing until dark (7pm here these days).   A perfect end to an "unplanned" weekend. 




Did I mention I LOVE fall?

No comments: