Friday, October 22, 2010

Seeing Me

This year I have spent quite a bit of time reaching inside to figure out who I really am.  Whoa, deep, I know.
I think it's because I am very quickly approaching another decade, or it could be that I have been playing so many different roles in life right now that I am searching for significance among them.   I also have begun to see others around me that I find myself defining based on the significant roles in their lives.

I think everyone probably goes through stages where one or two roles supercede most others, but for me, I'm really attempting to nail down the one or two that define me in the view of others, the particular traits that when my name is mentioned are what my friends and family think of first, because I feel that by growing that particular role in my life, I can contribute more significantly to this world than I can if I try to perfect say 10 things and do each of them "fairly well", instead of  INCREDIBLY well.

I will admit that in this past year, I have thought that way about several people I've met.  Not so much narrowly defining them or compartmentalizing them - although as I write this it probably sounds like I am, but more that when they come across my mind, it's what I first associate with them as impressive and passionate in their lives.  For example, there are some women I know who are incredibly fashionable and can pick out clothes and always look amazing, I do not have this ability but I know that if I needed advice in that area, they'd be the first person I'd call; some women have a gift for cooking - if I am in a rut with meals, I can call her and I know it would be easy for her to throw out a months worth of ideas; some women are incredibly patient parents, when I'm on my last nerve, I can call them and get a boost of confidence that I'm not screwing things up.  I guess that could be different for anyone's experience with another person and so I probably need an example to illustrate, but I also don't want to offend anyone in the process.

My question here - what am I about to others?  How do others SEE me?  If I could do something that I'm doing now in a much improved way or really focus on a skill, what is it that I would most likely succeed above and beyond anyone else trying to do that same thing?

I know I have special talents, what I really want to know is what special talents do others view in me?  I think if I focus on those, that I might have a shot at taking my life, my family, my marriage, my career, to the next level. 

So, my 11 followers, and anyone else that happens upon this post that knows me, well or not.  Please share, don't be afraid, be honest.  I promise that I will not be offended in any way.  I'm not looking for a boost of confidence, I'm looking to GROW, and I'm stuck in moving forward without help.  I'm asking for it here, and I'm desperately searching to see me. 

All you have to do is click on the little "comments" link below this post, type in your comment and complete the word verification - really it's not that hard.  And it could change my life (and yours) for the better!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah, What I love and envy about you is your ability to be at home any situation. To take charge and get done what you feel needs to be done. You never seem to be scared of any situation or afraid to talk to anyone. I wish I had that strength in my life. I think it is great that you put yourself out there for others.

mallory said...

I love that everytime I see you, you have a beautiful smile on your face and a great attitude. Your passion for life, your family, and God is evident by the way you treat others and care for others.
Thinking back to when we first met, you were always so friendly and your zeal for life encouraged me and still does. I think you are an awesome mommy...your kids and Cory are very blessed and I know that anyone who mets you is touched by your genuine kindness. I am honored to call you friend!

Anonymous said...

I think you are the first person I go to to vent or discuss difficulties in relationships. You always listen without immediately offering advice and I always appreciate that. You are amazing at active listening and by the time I am done talking I most certainly feel better for what you have said and the reassurance you have given me. I just love you to pieces!!!!
Your little sis, Clare

anorthsider said...

Sarah,being the first born you set the standard for your sisters to follow.In school, in relationships, and now with your family. You set the bar really high and I'm happy that you did I'm very proud of you. Your personality,attitude,and great outlook on life make others around you feel great.
I'm a really proud Dad

mamanugget said...

Sarah, I love that you are so genuine. You don't try to be anyone other than your great, imperfect, real, amazing, competent, funny self. You are also the kind of true friend who stands the test of time. You show up for those around you and would do anything to help a friend in need.

Sarah Rath said...

Thank you all for such incredible comments. I have felt for a long time like I'm constantly going in different directions. But after reading so many perspectives, perhaps I need to realize that by doing just that I'm directing my energies and talents toward whatever it is that needs to be served best and that's what I am about and what I need to really embrace. I have always known that I have a servants heart, and I've created a career with a company in which I am constantly redefining technologies and creating methods to make our sales force be able to do their jobs, better, easier, more profitably. Being a mother, that is just a natural part of our lives. But truly this is what I can grow in myself, by doing it with a joyful heart (which is an area I need some work on rather than a complaining spirit). Thanks so so much for all of you in my life - it really means a lot to me that you took the time to share your thoughts on this one!